You have no items in your shopping cart.
TL-D1600S High-performance desktop SATA 6Gbps JBOD storage enclosure, 16-bay desktop SATA JBOD expansion unit with a QXP-1600eS PCIe SATA host card and 4 SFF-8088 to SFF-8644 SAS/SATA 6Gb/s external cables.
TL-D1600S JBOD storage enclosure allows you to back up and expand your QNAP NAS, Windows® and Ubuntu® computers and servers. The TL-D1600S features sixteen 3.5-inch SATA 6Gb/s drive bays and comes with a QXP PCIe card for connecting the enclosure using a SFF-8088 (or SFF-8644) cable. It provides reliable read/write performance for smooth storage and backup tasks.
1. QNAP recommends following the standard procedure for connecting or disconnecting the TL-D1600S. For more information, please see the TL-D1600S user manual.
2. The TL-D1600S can only be used as an individual storage pool or volume on the NAS. Its storage pool or volume cannot be combined into the connected NAS. NAS applications cannot be installed on the TL-D1600S.
3. The TL-D1600S only supports QNAP NAS running on QTS 4.4.2 (or above) or QTS hero operating system.
High-performing TL SATA JBOD
The TL SATA JBOD supports multi-lane SATA 6Gb/s transfer, and each SATA lane directly connects to a single SATA drive to help improve performance. With the 1-1 high-speed channel, the TL SATA JBOD delivers excellent transfer performance.
Note: The SFF ports and drive slots order: SFF port 1 to HDD slot 1-4, SFF port 2 to HDD slot 5-8, SFF port 3 to HDD slot 9-12, SFF port 4 to SDD slot 1-4 (TL-D1600S)
Flexible Storage Configuration and Management
The TL-D1600S provides software-controlled storage configuration for greater management flexibility. You can configure RAID and monitor JBOD enclosure and disk health with Storage & Snapshots when connected to a QTS or QTS hero NAS, or with the QNAP JBOD Manager utility when connected to a computer.
|Use the Storage & Snapshots Manager in QTS or QTS hero to configure the TL-D1600S as a storage enclosure for your QNAP NAS. The NAS expansion storage mode supports various NAS functions, including storage pools and snapshots. With TL-D1600S, you can easily expand storage capacity.||The QNAP JBOD Manager is a desktop utility for monitoring the TL-D1600S on Windows® and Ubuntu® computers. You can quickly obtain disk statuses, JBOD information and health, view fan rotation speed, and check for firmware version updates.|
What you need to know
You can connect your TL-D1600S to Windows® and Ubuntu® computers through SFF-8088 (or SFF-8644) high-speed cable and use built-in utility to manage RAID configuration.
1. QXP series PCIe cards do not support Mac Pro.
2. If there are any unexpected boot failures during QXP PCIe cards installation on the host, please check with the host manufacturing company for any new BIOS updates. Alternatively, you can try disabling the boot from the PCIe slot function or disable the external graphics card option.
Intelligently monitor JBOD enclosure status on PC and servers with QNAP JBOD Manager
The QNAP JBOD Manager is a desktop utility for monitoring the TL-D1600S on Windows® and Mac® computers. You can quickly obtain and view information about the JBOD status, health, fan rotation speed, and check for firmware version updates. All device events are recorded, and QNAP JBOD Manager will automatically send system alert notifications to your desktop.
1. You can set up new software RAID groups in [Windows Storage Spaces] in Windows 8 (or later versions).
2. Windows Server 2012 R2 (or later version) users can set up new software RAID groups in [Server Manager].
3. macOS 10.13 & 10.14 users can set up new software RAID groups in [RAID Assistant]. QNAP recommends using RAID 1 instead of RAID 0 for data protection.
4. Ubuntu 18.04 users need to pass commands into [mdadm] to set up new software RAID groups.
Flexibly Expand Connectivity with QXP PCIe Cards
Install an exclusive QXP PCIe card onto your QNAP NAS, Windows® or Ubuntu® PC to connect the JBOD enclosure via SFF-8088 (or SFF-8644) cable , for easy and flexible storage expansion.
1. The TL-D1600S package includes one QXP-1600eS card (can be purchased additionally) and four 1M SFF-8088 to SFF-8644 cables.
2. A SATA JBOD storage enclosure can only connect to one NAS. Users can only use QNAP JBOD Manager to view statuses of devices and disks installed with QNAP expansion cards and JBODs. Users can only create single storage expansions when the QXP PCIe card is not connected to a TL SATA JBOD enclosure.
3. TL SATA JBOD storage enclosure can install different QXP PCIe cards. For example, one NAS can be matched with multiple QXP PCIe cards to connect to TL SATA JBOD storage enclosure or users can use one QXP-800eS to expand two TL-D400S (there are no quantity limits except for restrictions mentioned in the previous note).
4. The TL SATA JBOD and QXP SATA expansion card support at most 1 meter (3.28 feet) long cable.
5. The QXP-1600eS PCIe SATA expansion card included with the TL-D1600S and TL-R1200S-RP JBOD is incompatible with 1U 4-bay NAS with PCIe slots and the following desktop models. For more information, and to view a full list of compatible NAS models, visit the Storage Expansion Compatibility and Compatibility List.
• x82S: TVS-882ST3, TVS-882ST2
• x71: TVS-871T, TVS-871, TVS-671, TVS-471
• x70: TS-870 Pro, TS-670 Pro, TS-470 Pro, TVS-870, TVS-670, TVS-470, TS-870, TS-670, TS-470
• x63: TVS-863+, TVS-863, TVS-663, TVS-463, TS-563
• x31P/x31X: TS-831X, TS-531X, TS-531P
• x32X: TS-832X
6. Users of the TVS-871U-RP, TVS-1271U-RP, and x80 series NAS must update their BIOS to the minimum BIOS version. If not, unexpected boot failures might occur.
SAS/SATA 6Gb/s external cables
|1-meter (3.28 ft.) SFF-8644 to SFF-8088 cable
• For QXP-1600eS PCIe SATA card
|1-meter (3.28 ft.) SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 cable
• For QXP-400eS-A1164 and QXP-800eS-A1164 PCIe SATA cards
Versatile usage scenarios to meet storage expansion needs
The TL-D1600S meets many storage expansion requirements for the home and office. Below is a list of potential application scenarios:
Scenario 1: Expand your NAS capacity
The TL-D1600S provides an alternative method for users to expand their NAS storage capacity. By connecting the TL-D1600S to their NAS and using Storage & Snapshots Manager in QTS or QTS hero, users can easily configure and manage their storage expansion. The TL-D1600S supports a variety of QNAP NAS storage and file management functions, allowing users to build storage pools, finding files with Qsirch, and organizing files with Qfiling.
|Function||QNAP TL-D1600S||QNAP TR-004||UX-500P||Other external RAID/ JBOD device|
||USB 3.2 Gen 1||USB 3.2 Gen 1||By device|
|Supported systems||QNAP QTS/QTS hero, Windows, macOS, Linux etc...||QNAP QTS/QTS hero, Windows, macOS, Linux etc...||QNAP QTS/QTS hero||QNAP QTS/QTS hero, Windows, macOS, Linux etc...|
|Disk health monitoring||Supported (QNAP QTS/QTS hero, Windows, macOS, Linux)||Supported (QNAP QTS/QTS hero, Windows, macOS)||Supported||Not Supported|
|Hardware RAID protection||Not Supported||Supported (QNAP QTS/QTS hero, Windows, macOS)||Not Supported||Varies by device|
|Create Storage Pool||Supported
|RAID migration, capacity expansion||Supported (QNAP QTS/QTS hero, Windows, macOS, Linux)||Not Supported||Supported||Varies by device|
1. The TL-D1600S does not support QNAP NAS models that cannot be updated to QTS 4.4.2 (or later) and the following NAS models: TS-128, TS-228, TS-131, TS-231, TS-431, TS-431U.
2. Drives can only be migrated from one TL USB JBOD to another TL USB JBOD. Files and data stored on drives migrated to or from other JBOD devices will not be recognized.
Scenario 2: External storage for your NAS
You can use the TL-D1600S to expand your NAS storage. You can select disks to create storage pools for expanding your NAS capacity, or you can treat each disk as an individual external storage space and use it as a removable drive for greater flexibility. Regardless of the mode you use, you can always use Storage & Snapshots Manager in QTS or QTS hero to set up and manage your TL-D1600S and use hard drive S.M.A.R.T. and Notification Center to check disk status anytime and anywhere.
Mode 1: Expand NAS capacity with storage pool mode
You can use Storage & Snapshots Manager in QTS or QTS hero to configure the RAID storage pool for your TL-D1600S and expand NAS capacity.
Mode 2: Expand your NAS with external storage mode
You can treat each disk on your TL-D1600S as an individual storage space and expand your NAS capacity. For example, it will show 8 independent external disks on an 8-bay NAS.
Scenario 3: Expand the storage space of your Windows®, Mac®, and Ubuntu® computer
You can use your TL-D1600S to expand the storage space of Windows® and Ubuntu® computers. You can set up the RAID configuration of your TL-D1600S to further secure data protection. Moreover, you can also use the single disk mode and format with exFAT file system for more convenient access and sharing of files between Windows® and Ubuntu® computers.
1. The QNAP JBOD Manager supports Windows 8 (or later versions), Windows Server 2012 R2 (or later versions), Ubuntu 18.04 (or later versions).
2. Because Windows® and Ubuntu® operating systems are incompatible, the TL-D1600S does not support cross-platform sharing after the RAID configuration setup.
Mode 1: RAID configuration mode
You can obtain data protection by building a software RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 5 volume with native utility in your Windows® and Ubuntu® computers, and use the QNAP JBOD Manager to monitor the TL-D1600S status information.
Mode 2: Single disk mode
You can format hard drives with the exFAT file system while accessing and sharing files between Windows® and Ubuntu® computers.
Scenario 4: Third-party hardware RAID card for advanced protection
You can install third-party hardware RAID cards on your TL-D1600S for advanced hardware RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10, RAID 50, and RAID 60 protection and use Windows® utility software to manage your TL-D1600S.
Note: The third-party hardware RAID card cannot be used simultaneously with QNAP JBOD manager and QXP series PCIe cards.
Extend hardware warranty up to 5 years
The TL-D1600S is backed by a 2-year warranty at no additional costs. You can purchase a warranty extension that extends your warranty coverage up to 5 years.
|Drive Bay||8 x 3.5-inch SATA 6Gb/s, 3Gb/s + 4 x 2.5-inch SATA 6Gb/s, 3Gb/s|
|Audio Alert On/Off Switch|
|Host Interface||4 x SFF-8088|
|LED Indicators||HDD 1-16, Status, Link, Fan error|
|LCD Display/ Button|
|Dimensions (HxWxD)||11.96 × 14.56 × 12.59 inch|
|Weight (Net)||25.55 lbs|
|Max. number of HDDs/SSDs supported||12 x 3.5-inch SATA 6Gb/s + 4 x 2.5-inch SATA 6Gb/s|
|Hard Drive Type||3.5-inch SATA hard disk drives
2.5-inch SATA hard disk drives (for 3.5-inch tray slots only)
2.5-inch SATA solid state drives
|Operating temperature||0 - 40 °C (32°F - 104°F)|
|Relative Humidity||5-95% RH non-condensing, wet bulb: 27˚C (80.6˚F)|
|Power Supply Unit||250W PSU, 100 - 240V|
|Power Consumption: Operating Mode, Typical||93.66 W
With Seagate ST6000NM0024 fully polulated
|Fan Mode Switch||(Auto, high, medium, low)|
|Fan||3 x 92mm, 12VDC|
|Sound Level||25 db(A)|
|Kensington Security Slot|
* Sound Level Test Environment: Refer to ISO 7779; Maximum HDD loaded; Bystander Position; Average data from 1 meter in front of operating NAS.
Designs and specifications are subject to change without notice.
The Case for buying an Integrated NAS System from SimplyNAS
Buying a NAS doesn't have to be complicated or stressful. This may only occur at times when looking to buy a diskless NAS as the risk element of receiving a faulty NAS or drives are accentuated. Nothing wrong in buying a diskless NAS and adding your own drives, the savings made may offset the inconvenience of receiving faulty NAS/Drives and having to go deal with returns, or does it? The argument against buying a diskless and self-populating with drives is quite compelling.
- We ensure all drives are compatible with the relevant manufacturer, model provide conformity with the relevant compatibility guidelines.
- All our disk drives are sourced from manufacturer recommended distributors – we don't buy aftermarket drives or purchase on open grey markets.
- All our disk drives are sourced from manufacturer recommended distributors – we don't buy aftermarket drives or purchase on open grey markets.
- Our comprehensive batch rotation ensures customer avoid batch issues and thus promote reliability and longevity.
- Our methodology for configuration, setting RAID and in-depth burn testing process for disk drives and NAS servers is unsurpassed and the small premium paid for this service is worth its weight in gold.
- We are authorized partners for all the NAS servers we stock.
- We only sell and support NAS solutions, as a specialist our knowledge is unsurpassable.
- Our expertise within the technical arena for NAS servers, provides the glue for preventing our customers from making an incorrect buying decision, as we share our knowledge.
- Our extensive and professional burn-testing service ensure the optimization and deployment of both NAS and Disk Drives is done to provide peace of mind and total integration.
- Ready to use out of the box, no if's or buts.
Thinking of buying a NAS?
QNAP, Synology, QSAN and TerraMaster – Over fourteen Comprehensive years relationship culminating in our expertise of understanding all the NAS products, and skillfully combining performance, reliability and features to ensure our NAS experts are always at hand to help our customers optimize their storage needs.
At SimplyNAS we balance performance, reliability and compatibility to ensure customers get optimized NAS based disk solutions that perfectly match their Storage needs. All our pre-configured NAS systems are evenly balanced in the areas that really matter.
Call our NAS experts today at 407-960-4690
What is NASBIT?
NASBIT© is a Licensed trademark of SimplyNAS. The acronym stands for Network Attached Storage Burn in Testing. This term is used to describe the process of testing new Network Attached Storage (NAS) hardware and firmware for faults before putting it to use in a live environment. This is done by running 'Stress testing' software for a stipulated period of time often 24 to 48 hours, but longer if needed.
When we receive an order for a NAS system pre-installed with disk drives it's prepared and configured with RAID followed by burn testing to ensure the entire system undergoes a thorough examination thus ensuring the server passes all tests to the highest standards set by us. Should the system hardware or any associated components fail at any point of the testing cycle the system is pulled and returned back as faulty our relevant vendor partner, the process seems simple but setting it up is far from easy.
Hard Disk Drives
All Hard disk drives are pre-tested prior to integration; the smallest of faults be it tolerable within industry standards are classified by us as faults, the hard drive is rejected and eliminated from the process and again returned back to source as a D.O.A. (dead on arrival). We continue to select drives from different batches, so as to eliminate any bad batches that may have been produced during manufacturing.
One integrated the drives are put through a vigorous routine that includes stress testing, including temperature tests and a host of read, writes to ensure the drive platters are stressed to the nth degree.
First, when the new server is turned on, we boot off of the network, and proceed to run the memory test that takes its sweet time, almost 10-12 hours dependent on manufacturer and model.
The appropriate RAID level is set and the system awaits completion of RAID synchronization. Once completed the NAS server undergoes numerous re-boots and a deletion of original RAID and a final re-build of RAID level again.
Why is NAS Burn in Testing (NASBIT©) necessary?
If within the designated time span the NAS servers are still running and with zero faults, it is considered suitable for rolling out to our customers. If there is a failure of any kind the systems is replaced with a new one, including hard drives and the process starts again, until the NAS servers passes with ZERO faults.
You would normally expect that this level of testing would be completed by the hardware manufacturers and so these tests shouldn't show up any faults. In our experience of testing hundreds of machines we do find faults, and we do send systems back.
The reason it is so important to perform this level of testing on NAS servers is that the uptime demands are so high. The slightest faults will cause outages and downtime. Once a NAS server is deployed, never again will you have the opportunity to take it offline and perform such detailed testing. Even if it were to crash, there is always a demand that it be put back online as quickly as possible, not left offline whilst thorough diagnostics are completed.
Always remember this is hardware and failures can and will occur even after burn testing has been carried, that is a fact of life we cannot avoid, but we do try and eliminate some of the hassle factor with testing. Thank you for buying from us, we truly appreciate your custom.
NOT AVAILABLE ON DISKLESS UNITS - ONLY FOR SYSTEMS PRECONFIGURED WITH HARD DISK DRIVES
We try our best to get orders shipped as quickly as possible. However, due to the current situation with the Coronavirus, some manufacturers are experiencing stock constraints, shipping delays due to warehouse closures, delays in customs or other unforseen circumstances which can sometimes delay an order as stock levels can change hourly. We understand that your order may be urgent, so if you want to check if something is in stock before you place your order, please call us at 407-960-4690 during our normal business hours of 9-6PM EST. We also try to be transparent on the site with availability and shipping times. We do sometimes make mistakes and greatly appreciate your understanding if this occurs. Please allow some grace and patience as we work through the difficulties and challenges of communicating with our suppliers to keep up with supply changes.
So when can I expect a shipping notification for my order?
- Diskless orders that are in stock will ship same day if placed before 2pm.
- Diskless units that are not in stock we will ship directly from our suppliers warehouses. This could delay shipping by 1 - 3 business days.
- Configured systems are considered special order. This means that they are not already pre-built and ready to ship when you place an order. When you purchase a configured system from us it will not ship out for at least 2 - 3 business days due to the time it takes to pick, assemble, test, RAID and prepare your order for shipment. If we do not have one of the components on the build, that will further delay shipment as we have to wait for stock to come to us. You will receive updates for the order as it goes into testing.
When will my card be charged for an order?
We do not immediately charge your credit card when you submit an order, instead a temporary hold is placed on your card for the amount of the purchase. If everything is in stock, we will charge your card and process you order for building or shipment. Should there be a delay of some sort, we will notify you by email with the ETA and ask for approval to charge your card and process your order. Please be advised that we cannot allocate stock to you without prepayment. So, if you approve the ETA, we will immediately charge your card so that we can secure the stock from our suppliers. Once this charge occurs, any cancellation will incur a 3% fee.
Security and Payment Verification Requests
We take customer security very seriously as fraud and chargebacks are costly. In order to protect you and keep our costs to a minimum, we may ask you to verify your identity when you place an order. If your billing and shipping differ, or if the billing and shipping parties differ and we can't veryify you as a legitimate business, we will send a request by email with a link, asking you to upload documentation for us. We understand that this may make some people nervous, but you are sending your files to the same secured server as your payment and no one can access the files except for the staff who verify them. Your files are purged from the server within 120 days of payment date. As we cannot physically verify your identity when you place an order, this is the only way for us to accomplish this so we ask that you complete the verification as we won't be able to process your order until this step is completed.